A few things to keep in mind about money/wealth/status, which everyone craves so much:
- No one cares about your wealth as much as you do. Others don’t admire your possessions. They only imagine themselves having said possessions.
- The more money/wealth/status one displays, the more the envy/jealousy/hatred that is likely to build up against them. Some of the richest people in the world live very frugally.
- Money and wealth are good, as long as we control them and not the other way around.
- Wealth brings freedom, because it can buy time. One can then choose what to do with their time, rather than live by the rules of someone else. This is an end goal for most, rather than a starting point.
- Spirituality helps build wealth, as it emphasizes reducing desires and sense pleasures, which in turn reduce expenses. Savings can then be invested. Wealth is the gap between what you have and what you want or spend.
- You can only really afford something, if you can buy 2 or 3 or 4 of the that same thing.
- It is important to teach your kids to be self sufficient. Giving them big allowances now will allow you to see them happy today, but they will struggle in the future, unable to understand the value of money, and left without survival skills.
- What amount of wealth / money you desire is something only you can decide. Comparisons will only hurt.
- The happiness from giving is infinitely more than that from getting.
What are your thoughts on money?