What is the difference between a leader and a follower? Is it about brilliance, IQ, strength, awards etc.?
A leader has followers while the follower doesn’t! It’s about as simple as that. Leaders are able to demonstrate a vision and inspire his/her followers.
Contrary to popular perception, leaders aren’t born. Jim Collins in his book Good to Great, talks of level 5 leaders, and mentions the following characteristics – A level 5 leader:
- Is unafraid to acknowledge that s/he doesn’t know the answer/solution.
- Is unafraid to display their vulnerabilities
- Never says no to any new opportunities
- Is always keen on learning
- Is always humble
- Is always looking out for their followers
- Is often quiet, reserved, shy
- has their ambition is first and foremost for the cause, for the organization and its purpose, not themselves
Notice that not even one point is about academics, education or credentials. Isn’t this a great equalizer then?