We rarely learn or remember anything simply by reading. And certainly don’t learn if we are told we are wrong, or if we just come across the ‘correct answer’. We only learn when we are surprised or shocked by what we read; when our jaw crashes into the floor. We often pick up things to read with plenty of preconceived notions. But if something completely shakes or rattles our understanding, that’s when the maximum absorption happens.
We’ve discussed previously my Guru’s unmatchable not-to-be-missed Amazing Simple Gita purports (free, click to download pdf) and also Thiruvalluvar’s amazing Kural book (also recommended by my Guru). Here below are just a few statements from these that have had this shock-and-awe treatment on my life and learning experience, leaving an everlasting positive imprint.
- Spirituality is not unhappiness and crying, long face and sorrow.
- Renunciation shows maturity, spiritual adulthood.
- Death has to come one day, do not die every day worrying about it.
- Dharma is nothing but the absence of evil thoughts.
- Truth = that which is not evil = even a lie will be on par with truth if it brings unblemished benefits to all.
- If a householder lives a dharmic life, this is better even than hermits, and ranks as God.
Aren’t these just mind blowing? There are so many like these, and we can cover more in future posts if you wish. Do please leave a comment below if you like!